Sunday, October 7, 2007

Update.

It is just too hot to run a marathon in Chicago today. The last time I looked at the weather it said it was 84, but feels like 88. Add running on asphalt in a city to that and I'm sure it feels much hotter.

Mark called me to tell me he had to stop running and walk for a while, but not to worry if I was watching his time online. Then his friend called because he was very worried. He had seen Mark at mile 13 and didn't think he looked well. At that point, he was on pace to finish in 3:45, which was too fast in this heat.

As it turns out, he is walking the remainder of the race. And, while we were on the phone the second time, an announcement was being made for all runners to stop running and walk the remaining length. That was at about mile 23. A marathon is 26.2 miles. In addition, Mark is cramping up, has a headache, and lost one of his contacts. Luckily, his friend Deirdre is walking with him and can watch over him and drive him home. I'm concerned and wish he would have listened to me when I asked him to sit this one out because of the heat.

I'll feel better when he's home.

1 comment:

Jenn Maruska said...

We want to see a thumbs-up photo of Mark when he makes it home!

He is very brave to run a marathon in that heat.

I hope he's feeling better soon : )