Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A quiet start.

I had hoped 2008 would start out as a healthier year, but so far that's not the case. Yesterday we went to see The Water Horse (good movie!) with N. He was a little warm before we set out for lunch and the movie, but he seemed in good spirits and had energy. He had a healthy appetite for lunch and even wanted popcorn during the movie. After eating his popcorn he crashed. He slept through most of it and says he doesn't really remember much.

His fever was higher last night. He swore he didn't have a sore throat, but by watching him I could see it was indeed quite sore. He was hoping to avoid the dreaded throat culture at the doctor's office.

Unfortunately, that was not to be. We went to the pediatrician at lunch time and found out my suspicions were correct; he has strep throat.

Season is taking good care of him and hasn't left his side.

Our friends Aaron and Andrea were in town this past weekend. It's always good to see them. We took them to a local restaurant we like that overlooks the lake. Then Andrea and I went shopping.

During our shopping excursion I bought a new shelf for the dining room.

The rose bag on the shelf was made by my brother's mother-in-law. It's crocheted with beads. I gave her a cross stitch pattern, beads, and crochet...thread?...yarn?...and received this back! She strings ALL of the beads before she begins crocheting.

Don't tell anyone, but it has a roll of toilet paper in it to keep it upright.

I don't usually make resolutions, but this year I thought I'd make a few:
  1. When the wound track is healed and doesn't need to be packed anymore, Mark and I will celebrate with a date night. We'll even go to a restaurant that needs reservations. (I just looked for a post to link to about the wound track and couldn't find one. Did I mention on here that I developed a second infection that created a deep tunnel in my belly button? That's why I needed the PICC line. It started out being almost 7 cm deep and 2 cm wide. Mark has to pack it morning and night. That's a good time, let me tell you. Infection after surgery is really not fun. The good news is that the first wound that had to be packed is now fully healed.)

  2. Sleep in my bed instead of the recliner.

  3. Learn how to make granny squares. (Mom, if you're reading this, you'd better add the following to your resolutions: "Teach Tina to make granny squares.")

  4. Use what I have. Work up some of the bead kits I have before I buy more beads.

  5. Decide if I'm going to take a class at the Bead & Button Show.
That's enough for now.

I hope your 2008 is off to a cheery start!


Jenn Maruska said...

Oh dear! I hope that N is feeling better soon!

Aren't kitties the best when you aren't feeling well? They are always ready for some snuggling.

I am just in awe of all the creative folks in your family. Especially your mom's needlework... which is lovely. Those stockings are truly heirlooms.

Hope you feel better soon, N!

Yazmin said...

One step forward, two steps back? I know it must feel that way sometimes. The good news is that the first one is healed. :)

I hope N feels better soon. (For what it's worth, I probably would have tried to avoid the culture too! hehe)

Sarah and Jack said...

:-( I am sorry you are having so many issues with that wound.

And the strep throat, man that kills. Ouch.