Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Anne Choi.

One of my favorite bead artists is Anne Choi. She makes the most wonderful silver beads. She creates them by carving a mold and eventually casting the the bead in sterling silver. You can read about her process here.

I bought this strawberry bead from her two years ago at Bead & Button. As you can see, I haven't made anything with it yet. I'm still pondering what to do. Anne also gave me some information about what was on the bead.

The strawberry was once known as an attribute of Freya, the Norse goddess of love and fertility (among other things) she was believed to travel in a chariot drawn by giant cats.
On the sides of the beads is "Semper amemus," which means "May we love forever," from the inscription on a 17th century poesy ring.

I'm looking forward to seeing what she has at Bead & Button this year.

5 comments:

Melissa J. Lee said...

I am so with you on Anne Choi. I have to avoid her website to prevent myself from spending too much money on her beads. Have you seen the current (I think April) issue of Simply Beads Magazine? There are nice articles about her and Green Girl Studios in that issue.

Jonara Blu Maui said...

Giant cats! Awesome lol! This is a beautiful bead..so much detail

Louise Hill said...

Very nice! Thanks for posting this.

Andrew Thornton said...

You're quite lucky! This is an awesome bead! I LOVE ANNE CHOI!

Anonymous said...

Hi every body Jewellery holds paramount importance in Indian history and today when

time has evolved, trends have changed and technology has taken over the fashion

arena, jewellery still forms an integral part of women's lifestyle.
--------------------
925 sterling silver