Saturday, March 27, 2010

Jewelry Inspirations by Sherri Haab

I have several of Sherri Haab's books and I really like her newest one, Jewelry Inspirations: Techniques and Designs from the Artist's Studio.

The book provides easy to follow directions for basic jewelry making, such wire wrapping, while offering an overview of techniques and detailed instructions for individual projects. In the beginning, and sprinkled throughout, she shares her memories and inspirations, as well as tips for remaining inspired and involved.

When we fear that our piece isn't going to turn out perfectly, this holds us back. creativity is the ability to allow ourselves to be okay with something spontaneous or unintentional. Sometimes this leads us to an inspired direction and to unexpected findings that help us to expand creatively.
The projects range from polymer clay to resin, to shrink plastic, to using vintage items. I found several projects to inspire me: making a pendant out of a vintage metal button, transferring an image onto sea glass, making a resin flower, and more. Even N was inspired when he saw me looking at the book; he's ready to break out the shrink plastic!

You can preview several pages of the book on the Random House site.

1 comment:

Betty BeadBug said...

I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I think it would be great to have. :-)