Saturday, April 28, 2007

Sun's out.

Ah, finally...sunshine. After a rainy, dreary week, it's good to see the sun. I wish I could plant some flowers today, but it really is too early. I think the general rule of thumb around here is not to plant flowers before Mother's Day - unless you are planting a flower that likes cold weather, like pansies (which I love). I get so antsy to start planting at this time of the year. Instead, I'll content myself with some beaded flowers for the moment.


The white flowers are some that I found in an antique shop. They are made with wire, also known as French beaded flowers. I'm always on the lookout for beaded flowers. The small bottle it's in was beaded by my cousin for me. The tiny orange vase with pink flowers was made by the amazing Kim Miles. Check out her blog as well. She is another rock star of the bead world. I have several of her beads. I bought this vase from her one year at the Bead and Button Show. I made the tiny flowers in it from beads and thread from a pattern created by Diane Fitzgerald. They are made with herringbone stitch (also called ndebele (en-da-belly)). I have the pattern from a class I took with her, but I think there is a pattern for Tiny Tulips in her book that is the same thing. I love that she created ways to make flowers with beads and thread instead of wire.
In the background you can see our patchy grass coming in. We really need some flowers back there.
Lastly, a shout out to my husband who, right this very minute is running the Country Music Marathon. You are amazing!

No comments: